Christina White's Reviews > White Oleander

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: favorites, literary-fiction, 5-star-reads
Read in February, 2012

Dark, depressing, disturbing, and so beautiful! When the author described the August summer heat I felt it, like hot breath on my neck. I fell in love with Ingrid and her beauty and ideas of the world. Then I became Astrid, and I felt how much she loved her and how bad it hurt to also hate her, but hate Ingrid I did! I would walk away from long reading sessions feeling hardened and detached. It's not an easy read, but I find literature that can make me feel so strongly well deserving of praise. The words were like a sad song. I connected with them so much that they became the theme song of my life for days. "The phoenix must burn to emerge." I love that Astrid found love at the end and I loved seeing how her past formed her into who she was. I too have been burned by a lost childhood, and spent a lot of time while reading this crying for myself. Life makes you or breaks you. I too, am a survivor.

This book will rip your heart apart, and then put it back together again stronger than it was before.

_______________________________________________________________________

*Inspired by this book, I started writing my own story in a blog. I wrote each chapter as different memory from my childhood. I'd love some feedback. Please read with an open mind. I meant my story to be a bold testimony to the love of Christ, but some parts may be disturbing and uncomfortable for some readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Oleander.

Quotes Christina Liked

Janet Fitch
“I thought clay must feel happy in the good potter's hand.”

Janet Fitch
“One can bear anything. The pain we cannot bear will kill us outright.”

Janet Fitch
“The phoenix must burn to emerge.”

02/02/2012 "just started and already love the characters!" 2 comments
02/02/2012
10.0% "good.. five star potential. :)"
02/03/2012
10.0% "I love love love Ingrid! She is so deliciously bizarre! I love her spite and her crazy! And boy do she have some crazy! lol.."
02/06/2012
20.0% "sad, deep, unsettling, real and beautifully written. I'm sucked in.. and it's a dark dark place where I'm at. Wow"
02/09/2012
45.0% "wow.. Did this book make anyone else feel like slitting their wrist? So so so dark. This author is amazing. I haven't had a book envoke such strong emotions in a long time. They aren't nice feelings, but they are powerful and saturating. Glad I'm reading someting light at the same time so I get to take a break from this from time to time."
02/15/2012
75.0% "This book makes me feel so strong.. and angry lol.. It's pretty amazing."
02/16/2012
85.0% "Wow.. I hate her mother.. I can feel the pain.. tears are running down my face." 1 comment
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paula  Phillips OMG I loved both the book and the movie of this . Such a touching and amazing piece of written work.

Christina White Paula wrote: "OMG I loved both the book and the movie of this . Such a touching and amazing piece of written work."

agreed!

Rachael Wade Great review! One of my all-time favorites.

message 4: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Wow Awesome review, you hit it right on the nail.

Christina White Alex wrote: "Wow Awesome review, you hit it right on the nail."

Thanks Alex!

Emily Mccormick ExactLy How I Felt

james fantastic book. some of the best quotes ever. movie was great too. highly recommend.