Colleen's Reviews > Fallen

Sep 05, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult-books
Read from December 03 to 12, 2010

Another jump onto the "paranormal bandwagon." (I noticed, while in Barnes and Noble the other day, that they have an entire section called "Teenage Paranormal.") This series is very popular right now but I found it rather forgettable. The premise attracted me initially, as did the cover (when oh when will I learn not to judge a book by its cover?) A fallen angel is destined to meet and fall in love with the same girl over and over again throughout time, but their lives are never allowed to proceed beyond a certain point. The introduction gets off to a good start--at some point in the past (the mid-1800s?) the love between the fallen angel and the girl comes to a flaming end. It's rather exciting and emotional. Then we are zapped into the current meeting of the fallen angel and the girl at a southern Gothic reformatory school and the story begins its long, boring slide to the end. First of all, the southern Gothic reformatory setting just doesn't work. The author works way too hard to create an atmosphere and it just comes off as cheesy. I felt no connection with the characters. If you can't even connect with the main character, Luce, then why bother reading the book? There was no chemistry between Luce and Daniel (except during the opening chapter) despite the fact that we're told that theirs is a once-in-a-lifetime hot, blazing love (or in this case, many lifetimes). The ending is just silly--lightning bolts, explosions, ominous shadows swirling around, and worst of all, characters acting completely uncharacteristically (and therefore, unbelievably). I didn't buy it and will not be reading the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.