Aaron's Reviews > Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs

Mirage Men by Mark Pilkington

Feb 03, 2011

liked it
Read from December 03, 2010 to February 03, 2011

Mirage Men> is one of the rare books dealing with the UFOs and paranormal that I would recommend without hesitation to those just getting interested in the subject. For that reason--and that reason alone--I gave it less than a stellar star rating. As someone who is, apparently, incredibly immersed in the history and culture of UFOlogy far too much of this book was rehash and citation of earlier books and stories.

However, it's awesome for presenting great profiles of some of the key figures in the developing story of UFOlogy over the past three decades--men like Rick Doty, Kit Green, and Walter Bosley (with whom I've corresponded and of whom I'm a great admirer) come through as honestly as possible. And, "honest" in this context obviously means "hiding things, but aware that you know they're hiding things." The interactions with these "Mirage Men" kept me reading to the end of Pilkington's book and--for me--were its saving grace.

A good comparison is to John Ronson's The Men Who Stare at Goats. I knew the majority of Ronson's story before I read the book but still found myself unable to put it down. Pilkington's work, on the other hand, I read in fits and starts over the past few months.

I would definitely recommend Mirage Men but only to those who are new to the field.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirage Men.