Kathy (Kindle-aholic)'s Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from October 19 to 24, 2011

That I had been waiting for this book for over a year might tell you a little something of the giddy excitement I felt when I finally held it in my hands. I love Jemisin's writing. The events that befall the characters are tragic at times (I have cried reading these books - I seldom cry while reading), but I always found some rays of hope. Broken Kingdoms (book 2) will always be my favorite, but I thought this one was very well done.

In this world, gods, godlings (children of the gods) and humans exist together, a fact that is not always good for the humans. It's not always good for the gods and godlings, either, but at least they are tougher to kill. In book 1, we come into a world out of balance. It is still out of balance in book 2, but the path to redemption and reconciliation has started. In book 3, the effect of this imbalance, as well as nature's eventual evolution (even gods change sometimes), comes to a conclusion.

An important thing to remember about the gods and godlings in this world is that they are restrained by their natures. Sieh, our narrator in Kingdom of Gods, is the god of childhood. He is cute, mischievous, a bully, a brat. He can be kind, he can be malicious. He acts without thinking. He craves the love and acceptance of his parents (and the big 3 - Nahadoth, Enefa/Yeine, Itempas are all his parents). He wants to be one of them, but he never will be. In his loneliness, he meets Shahar and Deka, children of the current Arameri ruler. Shahar is the future heir. Deka, her brother, is destined for mage school. His interaction with them leads to strange changes as the god of childhood grows up. He loves both of them, is betrayed, learns that he didn't know everything, and finally that he must take responsibility for what he has done.

Spending the book in Sieh's head, it really hammers home how different from humans the gods are, how after many millenia of existence your worldview would be so different, and also how easy it would be to fall complacent, believing in your own invulnerability. Then everything comes to a head.

I enjoyed Sieh's individual character arc, as well as the changes in this world that started in book 1 and are concluded here. The book blurb made it sound like this book followed Shahar, but while she is important, this is Sieh's book.

This is not a series that follows one group of characters around as they battle a big bad. It is character-driven versus battle heavy. Also, if you have a problem with gods as characters, or your gods must act in a very specific way, then this might not be for you. Also, if you must have a romance that follows the "romance rules" then this is probably not for you either. If you are looking for a sweeping fantasy that delves into the characters, then you should try it out.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.

10/19/2011 "I can't believe I have this book in my hands NOW. So, so happy!"
10/20/2011 page 90
15.0% "I love the way that gods are depicted in this. Seeing the world through Sieh's eyes is a very different experience (esp his early encounters w/ Yeine). So many quotes I love."
10/21/2011 page 300
51.0% "Another one I'm lost in."
10/21/2011 page 400
68.0% "Most of the blurbs I've read made it sound like this was Shahar's story, but we follow Sieh. Not complaining, just a note."
10/24/2011 page 500
86.0% "Each one of these books has been so different, but I love how although each one is its own encapsulated story, it also contributes to the overall arc."

Ithlilian Loved this book, loved it, loved it, loved it, glad you did too :D

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) I just posted on your review cause it was one of the first things on my Firends recent stuff. :D

So glad you loved it too!