Sarah BT's Reviews > Out from Boneville

Out from Boneville by Jeff Smith

Dec 03, 2010

I feel like such a terrible librarian for admitting this, but I hadn't read Bone until this year! The comics are always checked out from my library and I always have tweens and teens asking for them, but I had never sat down and read them. When I was at a Scholastic warehouse sale earlier this year, I saw the full color versions of Bone and decided to pick up a copy of volume one for myself and I'm so glad I did!

After reading Out from Boneville I know why tweens keep asking for this series and why it's never on my shelf! The Bone cousins are hilarious and their adventures are so much fun. Fone Bone is the Bone cousin we get to know the most in this volume and I have to say he's my favorite. He's the nicest of the cousins and I love his sense of humor. The other two Bone cousins are scheming at times, but I still think they're fun to read about. I just have a soft spot for Fone Bone (and his poor crush on Thorn!)

The illustrations are beautiful and I love the way the character's emotions are portrayed in the artwork. Poor Fone Bone has a crush on the lovely human girl Thorn and you see his feelings for her through his eyes and facial expressions in the art.

The humor is spot on for tween readers. Bone is a fantasy that I think will appeal to readers even if they typically shy away from graphic novels. There's a lot of adventure and humor and that's what will draw readers in-no matter the style the book is written in. There are nine books in the Bone series plus two prequels as well as a new novel out in 2011 set in the Bone world. With so many books to choose from, readers will be happily enjoying Boneville for a long time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out from Boneville.