Lauredhel's Reviews > Behemoth

Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Dec 06, 10

Read from December 03 to 06, 2010

Behemoth is the second book in Westerfeld's WWI steampunk Clankers vs Darwinists alt-U romp. It's packed full of Bechdelicious goodness, from the main character (a cross-dressing midship(wo)man for the Darwinists), to a Turkish anarchist revolutionary, to a rather splendid and dapper "lady boffin" and a Nene with an interesting mobility device.

Behemoth is a whole pile of fun, has a heap of marvelous critters and machines, and has as a bonus plenty of fabulous black and white illustrations that cosplayers will love. Recommended for readers 10-100, I reckon, but read Leviathan first.

"This revolution sure does have a lot of women in it" ... Oh, Aleksandr, if only you knew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behemoth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J Are you liking this? I liked/was ambivalent about the first one, wasn't sure about reading the second one.

Lauredhel I've only just now turned to the first chapter! I really liked the first one, so I'm hoping for the best.

message 3: by Aphie (new)

Aphie Really enjoyed the first one, was worried about the penis-fest continuing in the second, though (Not used to Westerfeld writing male with token woman/women cast!)
Super glad to read that quote. :)

Lauredhel Aphie wrote: "Really enjoyed the first one, was worried about the penis-fest continuing in the second, though (Not used to Westerfeld writing male with token woman/women cast!)
Super glad to read that quote. :)"

Yep! I liked the first well enough to read the second book, but I really really liked the second. Mileage, as always, may vary; but Deryn really seems to me as though she's the competent one in this book, both for ideas and action with Alek and the others sorta of trailing around doing stuff in her orbit. There is a hint of romance about the place, but I found it ever so slightly queerish and interesting, rather than feeling forced and pointless.

Plus, you gotta love any book with a critter called a [spoilers - you'll find out when you read it]!