Danielle's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

bookshelves: eng-420-elective
Read in September, 2010

Old Time "Juvenile" Fiction Requirement

Genre: Drama, Fiction, Orphan, Humor

When Matthew Cuthbert returns home from the train station with a chatty red-headed orphan girl instead of the young boy Marilla was expecting, she resolves to have her sent back the next day. However, as Anne's luck would have it, she is finally given a few chances to prove herself to the elderly siblings and they let her stay. It's not long before Anne wins over both their hearts, and the hearts of the rest of the town. The story is filled with witty and fun moments when Anne accidentally dies her hair green, loses Marilla's amethyst, causes trouble at school, is teased by the popular boys and learns what it's like to be a normal child. There's never a dull moment, and Anne's character is impossible not to love.

I have always LOVED the Anne of Green Gables movies, and remember reading a few of the series as a child. It had been such a long time since I'd read them though, that I decided it was time to pick up the classic again and remind myself why I adore her story so much. Anne is fun, witty, courageous and smart and I find myself longing to be her friend every time I read her story. Love the book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.