Judi's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, march, paranormal, tbr-challenge
Read from March 12 to 16, 2011

3 1/2 stars

March’s challenge was to read a new-to-me author off the TBR pile. Well the pile is so big and the choices were vast but I ultimately decided upon Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane. Many of my tweeps love this book and some dude named Terrible. Who names a character Terrible? Is he a terrible man? A terrible lover? Have a terrible disposition? I guess I finally decided to find out what all the fuss was about.

After reading the back blurb of the book and taking into consideration that is an Urban Fantasy book - Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane is not a book I would typically pick to read. I’ve only ever read one other similar style of book and that was the “Fever” series by Karen Marie Moning (which I also read based on tremendous twitter buzz) and was thoroughly captivated by the world within.

Chessie Putham is not the typical heroine I am used to reading about. She’s a deeply flawed character, a drug addict who also smokes and is a witch and debunker for the Church of the Real Truth. In other words she’s the go-to gal like in “Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!” when you need the undead removed from your home. She reminded me of a harder, darker version of Melinda from the TV show Ghost Whisperer. She’s into her drug pimp Bump for a lot of money and because of her addiction and dependence on his supply of drugs she’s kind of at his mercy.

At first I wasn’t “terribly” impressed with Terrible who is Bump’s thug/enforcer. He has mutton chops…mmm not “terribly” attractive, a lumpy nose, jutting brow and hard, dark eyes and he‘s a big, scary dude who seemed more than willing to break Chessie’s kneecaps (or whatever the UF equivalent is) than kiss her. Kane writes his manner of speech in something I coined Terrible speak. It wasn’t an accent per se, more like someone from a foreign country attempting to learn to speak a new language. He wasn’t the only one who spoke like that and I’m not sure I liked it. Here’s just a small sample:

“Hold it. Lemme call, aye? You ain’t just leave like this.”

Chess was caught between a rock and hard place. A rival drug lord wants his pound of flesh from Chess, she’s being spooked and seemingly stalked by an unholy Dreamthief, she’s suspicious of many of her co-workers about their involvement in something sinister that about to go down in Downside and the bottom line is she doesn’t know who to trust.

If not for the TBR challenge, I am not sure that when I started Unholy Ghosts if I would have finished it. I just wasn’t feeling it, but I persevered and the action really did pick up. I was even scared for Chess quite a few times - not a good thing to be reading about scary spectres before bed. And Terrible did grow on me but never in a “fan girl” squeeeee kind of way.

There are 2 more books currently released in the series (and they are on the TBR) and I will at some time probably read them, but I was not inspired to move them up the TBR (not like when I read “Fever” and devoured the first 4 books in the series one after the other).

I am certain that if this genre interests you, then the Downside world will more than hold your interest. It certainly had it’s moments, it’s just darker and more sinister with powerful amulets and spells and runes and well more Unholy Ghosts than I am used to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.

03/13/2011 page 76
22.0% "She sees dead people"
03/14/2011 page 180
53.0% "Another sinister, mysterious book? Sinsar Dubh anyone?"
03/16/2011 page 280
83.0% "Ok the worms in the cut in her hand are skeeving me out!"
show 1 hidden update…