Amy's Reviews > Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison

Dec 07, 10

Read from December 02 to 07, 2010

I knew a little about Asperger's Syndrome when I picked up this memoir and now I know a little more. Robison's prose is very dry, typical of someone with Asperger's. The tales of his life are wild and hilarious and I found myself wanting to read more. As Augusten Burrough's older brother, Robison's characters, especially his parents and the infamous Dr. Finch, make appearances. Running with Scissors, Burrough's well known memoir, made a big impression on me when it came out a few years ago.

Through his memoir, Robison shows us not only recognizable Aspergian traits, but also gives us hope than those with the syndrome - and the rest of us - can overcome so much without drugs, alcohol or medication. As he has come in contact with other Aspergians he's noticed a pattern in continued brain formation, that an evolution takes place in an individual during a single lifetime. Aren't we all, at best, evolving? He also argues that when you get down to it, we are all pretty similar in a lot of basic ways. To be honest, I think I might be a little Aspergian myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Me in the Eye.