Sarah's Reviews > Firespell

Firespell by Chloe Neill

F 50x66
Dec 02, 10

Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** What really drew my attention in, I suppose was the cover. I appreciated the eeriness of it, the fascinating plotline and not to mention the title. Boy, was I wrong! I started the book off with vigour, rubbing my hands together and stopped everything else to read it. The first few pages grabbed and whisked me away with its fast pace and setting, but this soon died away. Going on to the next few chapters, the excitement dimmed. It took a bit more of a struggle to continue, I admit.

The biggest error made in history was the back cover. While in the novel we are introduced to the protagonist Lily PARKER, the cover said Lily JONES. OK, so never mind. It wasn't Chloe Neill's fault. But well, Lily kinda is. She's unsociable, immature and completely inexperienced. Unsociable because throughout the ENTIRE SCHOOL, the only people she mixes with are her suitemates and the other Adepts whom she's introduced to. It would honestly be a nice change if she could start mixing a little. Besides that, even when the Brat Pack lock her away and because of that nearly kill her in the process, she still wants to hang out with them because its a so-called "change". Maybe secretly she wants to be cool, I don't know. And Scout, too. Just because Lily hangs out with the Brat Pack, she goes all "ugh. I'm not gonna speak to you anymore." I mean, HELLO! Isn't Lily entitled to have other friends? SCOUT IS NOT LILY. And of course, Lily's inexperienced as well. She meets Jason Shephard with those 'eyes' and she goes to la-la-land. She doesn't even know him! I mean, sure, you get the hots for him, I KNOW, but you don't even know him! Lily's narrative point of view tends to get tiring as well. She's always sarcastic and long-winded we can't even get a "I'm tired" without dozens of words mixed into it as well.

I noticed, mid-way in the book, that neither Jason nor Michael really fit into the picture. It's like Chloe Neill simply tossed them in at the last minute. And only because having Scout and Lily would bore people. I was interested in neither Jason nor Michael, and usually the "hot guys" in the book usually make it all the more interesting and heart-pounding for the girls. I simply could not understand Jason's infatuation for Lily.

The action in the end did not leave me breathless either. I was just waiting to get over it. However, I do admit the pace picked up somewhere in the end which pleased me slightly. The end revelation on Lily's powers, however, drew me in. That was about it.

Overall, it was disappointing and sad to say, marks the end of Lily's journey - at least for me.

1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firespell.

message 1: by Dorri (new)

Dorri Why do so many people like this book? I'm with you 100%. This book is horrible!

Alyssa Calloway Have you read Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series? I like that a lot better than this.

message 3: by Dorri (new)

Dorri Alyssa wrote: "Have you read Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series? I like that a lot better than this."

Thanks so much for the suggestion, but due to how disappointing Firespell was, I don't think I'll ever be willing to read anything else by this author. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Alyssa Calloway No problem. I read the CV first and love it, but if I had read Firespell first I would probably feel the same. :)