Kathrina's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: books-i-read-with-my-kids
Read in December, 2010

Simply, this is a perfect book. It does all that it sets out to do, and that is quite a lot, and it does it with such sophistication and respect towards its characters, its story, and, most importantly, to its readers. The illustrations are integral to the story -- not adding to it, they are it, and also open up a perspective as close to film as the printed page can be. I guess I should call it a storyboard, but this read is so much more complete than that word implies. It seems to tell its story through several media forms, but its really just a trick of Selznick's amazing storytelling.
It's remarkable how some books find us at just the right time. My son brought this home on a friend's suggestion, just as we've been plowing through our two volume set of Chaplin classics and catching a few Buster Keatons on netflix. We both got to approach this book having a little foreknowledge of silent films, and this reading has expanded our to-view list. We watched A Trip to the Moon, an early silent from 1902(?), directed by Georges Melies, a significant character in this book, on youtube. We also watched a clip of Selznick at the museum in Philadelphia that rebuilt and presented the 200-year-old automaton that inspired this story. It is an amazing sight to view this clockwork machine that can reproduce four intricate drawings and three poems with a simple crank. The website is listed in the last few pages of this book, and I highly recommend it.
I really don't care how old you are, this is a great book for anyone who cares for great film, great science, or great storytelling.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Ivan I'm going to have to go get it tonight. Do you think my eight year old nephew would be able to read and understand it?

Kathrina I think your 8-year-old will enjoy it for the story and the artwork, but the silent film references may go over his head -- so it's a great opportunity to jump onto youtube to see the automatons and some silent film clips together!

Ivan I can't believe how GREAT this book is. This is one time when saying I was enthralled is no overstatement. I adore every page. I'm about to leave for a friends house...but would love to just stay home and finish this off. I like it so much that I've ordered this authors book about Houdini. Oh, I don't think my nephew is reading for this - so he'll be getting the book "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and a DVD of "The Phantom Tollbooth" - and probably a toy too (because I was a kid once, and I liked toys).

Kathrina Phantom Tollbooth ANNOTATED! Your nephew (and you) NEED this.
Glad you loved Hugo. Me, too.