new_user's Reviews > Firewalker

Firewalker by Allyson James

Jan 13, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, racially-diverse
Read from December 30, 2010 to January 13, 2011

Firewalker was more of the same, and I mean that in a good way. Once again, we have the characters, action, and good times. ;)

I keep trying to articulate my impressions of this series in discussion threads and failing. James' humor isn't typical urban fantasy-grade. You know the sort, clever run-on sentences in dialogue that could only come from a writer's pen, never out of the mouths of real men and women -because, if nothing else, they would run out of oxygen.

James' humor is normal. Her characters rarely spout unnatural dialogue for humor or expository value (okay, occasionally the latter). They return the same comebacks you would, if you didn't have time to formulate something witty and long-winded. She drops casual jokes in narration, funny but casual enough for the reader to mark only subconsciously.

Her characters are normal too, and her secondary characters have lives too. That's a nice change. Janet's simple, down-to-earth insights on people's motivations say a lot, even if the book doesn't aspire to philosophical heights. The author's grounded, and so is the book. Also, major props for the multicultural cast and mostly realistic relations (Mick's "Navajo girl" epithet for Janet in flagrante probably should have been edited out). +1000 points.

I loved seeing more about dragons. <3 The tattooed mafia! James has churned different ingredients to produce a neat dragon mythos. I hope to learn more about them in the next book. Maybe Colby or Drake even get their own romance. I really like reading about the secondary characters' lives and times. :o

I didn't really think Janet was as extraordinary as Mick did, and from the excerpt, I'm thinking the author will have a little bit of trouble following her own rules where Janet's magic is concerned, but I'll read Shadowwalker anyway! LOL. It's amazing how readable a book becomes when the author doesn't toss in run-ons or ruminations on the universe. Good times.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firewalker.

12/30/2010 "You've tantalized me too much, Laurie! LOL."
01/05/2011
13.0% "Action! Sexy dudes! Obnoxious, racist cops! Love it!" 4 comments
01/11/2011
33.0% ""I’d drift off again, dreaming of chasing Nightwalkers and demons around Magellan, demanding that they pay their hotel bills." LOL."
01/11/2011
33.0% ""Of course Colby would say something like that. He’d walked in here right through our wards, scared my mirror, and challenged me and Mick. I wasn’t about to whirl around and scream, Mick, is this true? That’s what he wanted. Divide and conquer.""
01/12/2011
40.0% ""There's an old Najavo saying that I think applies here: 'you snooze, you lose.'" LOL!"
01/12/2011
54.0% "I hope Salas isn't the killer, he's such a nice guy!"
01/12/2011
62.0% "Draconilingius rhymes with..."
show 1 hidden update…

Laura the Highland Hussy Haha! Peer pressure..it works!

new_user LMAO! It's true!

Laura the Highland Hussy I quit reading around midnight last night but it's getting gooood.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I just laugh thinking about magic mirror.

Laura the Highland Hussy Lol!! He's such a drama queen! And broadcasting Mick and janet's sexcapades for all magical beings in the saloon?! Omg I was dying!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Laura 'Highland Hussy' wrote: "Lol!! He's such a drama queen! And broadcasting Mick and janet's sexcapades for all magical beings in the saloon?! Omg I was dying!"

I snorted at one point in Firewalker (the scene where magic mirror wants a hole cut in Mick's jean pocket). I NEVER snort!!!

Laura the Highland Hussy lol!!!
"oh honey"

new_user LOL! Yes, I just read that part, where the mirror asks for a hole in his jeans! LMAO @ "Beeyotch."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead new_user wrote: "LOL! Yes, I just read that part, where the mirror asks for a hole in his jeans! LMAO @ "Beeyotch.""

LOL, I love that part. It is sooo magic mirror!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review. I'm convinced!

message 11: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Great review! I love this series!

new_user Thanks, guys! :)

message 13: by Vered (new) - added it

Vered "because, if nothing else, they would run out of oxygen" Lol!!
Great review girl :)