Monica's Reviews > Deeper than the Dead

Deeper than the Dead by Tami Hoag

Dec 30, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, fiction, mystery, er-arc, thriller, suspense, er-win, romance
Read from December 16 to 22, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book is awesome. Deeper Than the Dead grabbed my attention right from the start. Once I started reading the book I couldn't put it down. This is my first time reading Tami Hoag. I have seen her books and have thought about buying them but always decide on something else. Now I know I will be buying or asking for her books from now on.

Deeper Than the Dead is a phrase or description they use to describe the FBI's BSU department. They are in an area Deeper Than the Dead. The story is set in 1985. This is before forensic evidence was able to be examined like it is now. 1985 is about the time when Behavioral Profiles were beginning to be discussed and formed. Behavioral Science was new and police were skeptical in actually trusting Profilers.

Deeper Than the Dead takes place in California. Vince is the FBI man who goes to this town to help one of his past students who took a course at the FBI's National Academy, Mendez. Mendez is Chief Deputy and has a cunning ability and potential to become a member of the FBI. I really enjoyed these two characters and the way they interacted with each other and with the rest of the characters in the book.

Deeper Than the Dead has a murder mystery as the plot. There is a serial killer in this town even though there are at first only 2 deaths. That is why Vince is brought in, to be able to discover more about the UNSUB. I enjoyed this book for the fact that you are given enough information so that you can start forming your ideas as to who the UNSUB actually is.

I realized that I was comparing the book to actually tv shows and movies I have watched involving the FBI. The interesting thing about this book is the fact that it is during a time when there is no DNA analysis, finger printing is done manually and there are no computers or national databases to search for similar crimes. You knew the UNSUB had to make a mistake for the police to be able to solve the crime.

I highly recommend this book for those who enjoy mystery, thrillers and suspense with a little bit of romance thrown in.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deeper than the Dead.

12/20/2010 page 277