Nafiza's Reviews > Waterfall

Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Aug 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in August, 2011

So I was skeptical when someone told me I would like Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren. It just didn't seem to be my thing. I mean, the premise was good enough but honestly, it didn't seem to be something I would be interested in. However, since Amazon was offering a free copy, I decided to read it anyway. I mean, I should only make up my mind about its worthiness once I had sampled a few chapters for myself, right? So, no one was more surprised than I when I tore through the book and finished it in about two hours. It's a well crafted novel. Well thought out. The author preempts the readers more discerning questions and answers them.

I found the characters believable and engaging. Gabi's experiences back in time are relatable and it is quite easy to empathize with her. Speaking of characters, I think Gabi might have been the main reason I finished the novel. It is very refreshing to come upon a heroine who, while in the throes of a painful love, does not lose her mind (and her sanity) over her beloved. She remains logical which doesn't sound very romantic, but let me reassure you, it is a darn sight more palatable than seeing an otherwise intelligent woman/girl turn into a spineless maiden after the first brush with love. So while Gabi's actions might seem pragmatic and perhaps just a smidgeon cool, they do invite the reader to accord more substance to her character than one normally would.

I also found all the instances of girl power to be absolutely heady stuff. This is pure entertainment and I am sure Ms. Bergren is taking artistic license with the reactions to girl heroines but I totally loved it. The love interest. Hmm. I don't have much to say about him. Honestly, it's Gabi who's the stronger character here and it is her relationship with her sister that resounds the most. So while the knight was seemingly delicious, he didn't have as much an impact on me as he had on Gabi.

The plot is fast paced and the narrative even and the culmination, while not a cliffhanger, does leave a teasing thread that the readers can grasp and use to launch themselves into the second book in what seems to be a series. Honestly, give this a try. It's entertaining, it has girls kicking ass and winning the fair knight and well, it's just delicious stuff. I recommend it.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waterfall.

03/12 marked as: read

Amber If you really liked Waterfall, you will LOVE Cascade!

message 2: by Eden (new)

Eden Yes for girl power! So glad to hear she doesn't lose her head during a difficult relationship. Thanks for making this a must-read for me, Nafiza.

Nafiza :D No problem. I hope you enjoy it!