Jessi's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

Dec 08, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, fantasy, historical-fiction, romance, teen, 2010-favorites
Read in December, 2010

First Line: "It did not surprise Fire that the man in the forest shot her."

I was disappointed that Fire did not carry on the story of Katsa and Po (because I loved Graceling so much and am dying for more). However, I was not disappointed at all in the story itself. Cashore continues to be an amazing author who has created a unique world. Fire is actually kind of a prequel to Graceling, as we learn quite a bit about the history of the evil King Leck. However, Fire is set in a completely different country from Katsa's - one where there are no Gracelings. However, there are Monsters - creatures that are identical to other animals and humans, except that they have brightly colored hair/fur, are extremely beautiful, and are able to control people's minds. Fire is the last human Monster and her struggle between the horrendous legacy of her father and her own kind nature is the focus of the story. Fire is not nearly as physically or mentally strong as Katsa. I was actually surprised by what a different breed of heroine she is. She is pampered, sheltered, and very frightened. It was a pleasure to watch her come into her own power and find her own brand of strength. This was not a full-cast audio like the previous book but the narrator did a fabulous job. She moved along a story with quite a bit of political intrigue and back story very well. I would definitely suggest this book to fans of Hunger Games and anyone who enjoys strong and empathetic characters and well-developed and unique worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

05/05/2014 marked as: romance