Jason's Reviews > From Russia With Love

From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming

M_50x66
Dec 02, 10

This was my first attempt to read a James bond book, and I was hoping it would be as much of an action packed thriller as the movies (at least some of them...). Sadly it was a book that barely kept me entertained, and I found the characters shallow and the plot completely unbelievable. Having said that there was just enough intrigue that I didn’t stop reading, but ultimately I was left disappointed. I don’t think I will attempt another James Bond book.

I was also amazed at how racist Ian Fleming is in his writing. A good author is able to write characters that are racist when the author isn’t, and vice versa, but in the case of this book it is clear that the tone comes from the author himself as it permeates even the narrative that is not related to a specific character.

Just wasn’t for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Russia With Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt79 While I don't agree with Fleming's racism, his views are merely representative of the views of much of Britain's old colonial masters at this time. The Empire had all but crumbled, but many men, like Fleming, still hung onto the ideals and aspirations of pre- World Wars domination.

If you bear this in mind it is possible to enjoy the Bond novels not just as fantastic fast paced thrillers, but also as a great window into the decline of Britain and it's old masters while the USA and USSR dominated The World.