Robin's Reviews > Evernight

F_50x66
Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: vampires
Read in October, 2009

I thought it was okay, but totally passable. After finishing it I didn't think, "By Dickins, I must read the next one!", but I did put it on my watch list. But that was mosly out of boredom because I was stuck in a rut at the time. I'm still kind of stuck in that vampire-themed rut, which explains my narrow reading choices.

Anyway, I thought it was okay. The plot was highly predictable, the characters were highly predictable and the settings were cliched. I hated the whole, 'oh, Bianca's a vampire but because she's not 18 she doesn't really count', but I did appreciate the main character being a vampire (sort of) and not some whiney human vampire wannabe. Lucas just annoyed me. He was a clone of every other controlling, boring, tortured male love interest that had it stamped plainly on his character practly since he was introduced. Seriously, can we have a normal-looking, normal-acting, non-stupid male love interest for once?!

The plot was barely passable as a plot, to be honest. I don't really remember the ending because it was so boring. Most of the book seemed to be concerned with 'forbidden romance' (the most original subject in the entire world of writing at the moment) and very little about the actually possibly interesting things that could be happening (Bianca's progression into adult-vampire-hood). And the whole Black Cross thing? Seriously, could Gray have named her 'evil' organisation any more obviously? They might as well have just called them 'pathos-invoking pseudo-criminal organisation that hunts vampires on the basis of prejudice that doesn't even have the decency to base it in religious fanaticism'.

Overall, I read it, but wouldn't read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evernight.