Jamie's Reviews > Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read from December 02 to 03, 2010

If we were able to choose half star ratings, I'd probably rate this book as a 3.5 and not a 3. I didn't like it enough to rank it a 4, but I like it more than three. And all of that is more thought than I should probably put into in.

This book is a companion novel to American Gods. I wouldn't call it a sequel or even the second in a series. It revolves around the two sons of Anansi, who appeared in American Gods.

Ananasi is dead and his son, Charles, finally founds out that not only is his father a god, but that he has a brother he knew nothing about. And while those two things might seem to be extraordinary, they're only the beginning of Charles' journey through this story.

I feel as though this book would be far more appropriate for younger readers than American Gods and I don't believe that you'd need to read American Gods for this story to make sense. There's really no continuation, short of the link of Anansi.

Character development was very good and I felt connected to the characters, which I enjoy. The story was good, weaving through the ordinary and the extraordinary, very similar to American Gods.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anansi Boys.

12/03/2010 page 115
30.0% "So far, pretty good but not yet on par with American Gods."
show 2 hidden updates…