Ruth Seeley's Reviews > If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This by Robin Black

Dec 04, 10

I have not been this excited about a writer since I first encountered Ann Beattie, Amy Hempel, and Barbara Gowdy. These stories are like the rarest, most highly polished, and precious of gems from an extremely mature writer. I'm not surprised the 10 stories in the collection took eight years to write. While all the stories deal with loss and the grieving process in one form or another, there is nothing bleak about them. They are, rather, intricately layered pleas for kindness, empathy and a form of emotional generosity we rarely cultivate in ourselves - or get from others. There are no weak stories in this collection. Much as I'd like to share with family and friends, I'm afraid they're going to have to get their own copies, because I can't imagine not keeping this one so I can reread it several times. Poignant, moving, and ironic, but never lacking a dark humour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rumaizah Bakar Especially agree with you on this: There are no weak stories in this collection.

Ruth Seeley Rumaizah wrote: "Especially agree with you on this: There are no weak stories in this collection."
And what a treat that is in a collection of short stories. :)