Lynai's Reviews > The Velveteen Rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams

Dec 09, 10

bookshelves: ebook, favorites
Read on December 02, 2010

The Velveteen Rabbit is short but charming, a timeless classic which pinches the heart of every reader, young and old. It tells of the transforming power of love and, as in most children’s stories, the desire of every toy to become real.

Allow me to equate the concept of “real” to being “significant”. This is the closest synonym of the word I could ever come up with in this story. The toy rabbit felt, and became, real because it has served its purpose. As a toy, it has brought joy and comfort to its owner, which, for me, is its primary purpose. If you want to get more of life, or in the case of a toy rabbit, to be alive and real, you must learn to live for and with others. Life is not meant to be spent alone. It should be lived not only for oneself, but more particularly for others. To be able to give and share one’s life with others. For it is by sharing and giving that man feels unparalleled joy. Indeed, one who feels significant, important, needed, feels real for he/she has found meaning and purpose for living.

A more thorough review in Lynaireads.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Velveteen Rabbit.

K.D. Absolutely Not yet done? How is it going so far?

Lynai Hey K.D., I'm done already. What's not yet done is the review haha. I'm planning to do the review today. :)

K.D. Absolutely Ha ha. Sige, I will wait for your review. Please participate in the discussion thread too ha?

Lynai Yes, K.D. I've been meaning to do the review since I finished the book last Thursday pa but I had been busy with other things plus the weekend, so.... there you go, my excuses hehe. But I'll definitely join in the discussion thread. :)

K.D. Absolutely Thanks, Lynai!

message 6: by jzhunagev (new) - added it

jzhunagev What a beautiful review, Lynai! ^_^

K.D. Absolutely Yes, I agree with Jzhun. BTW, Lynai, I am done with The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. It is very nice!

Lynai Thanks Jzhun!
Really K.D.? This book has been gathering dust in my shelves for some time. SOmehow, I don't feel like picking it up because of the unattractive cover haha. Have you read The Bean Trees?