Karen Syed's Reviews > The Affinity Bridge

The Affinity Bridge by George Mann

Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: unabridged-audio, top-knotch, steampunk
Read in November, 2010

George Mann's "The Affinity Bridge" was a real eye-opener for me. I am new to the steampunk genre and have been looking for books to read in order to quench that need. I have started several but became so bogged down in vampires and werewolves that I just stopped reading.

This book however is beautifully written. Yes, there are a few zombies, but they do not overwhelm the story. Mann captures the feel of the Victorian era with clever descriptions and remarkable characters. Maurice Newbury is quite a character in himself, rakishly flawed, but powerful in his determination to do right by the Queen and her country.

Veronica Hobbs is a force to be reckoned with. Headstrong, loyal, and as determined as Sir Maurice, they make an awesome pair.

Fighting against several unknown entities, Newbury and Hobbs are cast into a world of near chaos. They must discover if the forces at work are those of the dark forces, one of Newbury's weaknesses, or if something far more sinister is afoot.

With plenty of action, emotion, and a few good twists, "The Affinity Bridge" is one of my favorite steampunk novels so far. I can't wait to download the next one in the series.

As for the narrator, I normally don't prefer the male voices, but Simon Taylor has quite a talent. I think his performance of the various voices was quite exceptional and I will be looking for more books narrated by him. A damn good listen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Affinity Bridge.