Frangipani's Reviews > Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus: AND How to Get What You Want in Your Relationships: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting ... Want in Your Relationships

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray

May 20, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: personal-development
Recommended for: people trying to understand their opposite gender
Read in December, 2008

Even reading this one on the toilet I couldn't get through it. I've decided to give up. Two years or more trying to read one book is a clear wakeup call to me - this book must be TRIPE.
So off it goes to the Book Exchange. Hopefully they'll pay to take it off my hands. LOL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

message 1: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Christine Ugh. I tried reading this one years ago and found the writing to be such garbage that I couldn't stomach it. All I can really remember at this point is that he continued to lay the metaphor on so thick that it just became repetitive nonsense.

If it helps someone sort out his or her relationship, I guess that's great... but I'm not going to turn to a therapist who couldn't make his own marriage work for advice on how to keep mine strong.

message 2: by Frangipani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Frangipani Interesting, that the author couldn't make a go of his own marriage! I have found this book a little patronising so far, so that kind of rings a bell. Hmmm.

message 3: by Christine (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:44AM) (new)

Christine Yea, he was married to Barbara De Angelis who is, ironically, also an author of relationship self-help books. I guess he must be making a go of his second marriage; I looked him up on Wikipedia and he's currently married and has three daughters.

I think that the one thing he did hit the nail on the head with in the Mars/Venus book was his description of the female accounting system where men get points for every little (or big) thing they do, but where *infractions* wipe the balance of their account out completely.

Anyway, I think that the bathroom is a good place for that book. Small doses of John Gray probably won't kill you and maybe you'll find something useful. Though I suspect you'll mostly discover that John Gray is a preachy weasel who doesn't write very well. :)