Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I

Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jul 22, 14

bookshelves: arthur-conan-doyle, 2011, lost
Read from September 01 to October 01, 2011

Sherlock Holmes become popular for decades and most of his adventures had been adapted to movies, graphic novels, animation and books related to him. But who's this guy who created the best detective of all time? Arthur Conan Doyle, a Scottish physician and a writer, created one of the best classic detectives. He was born weak when he was young and become alone most of his life but writing is never a hindrance on his part.

He was inspired to write Sherlock Holmes when he practice his medicine in Portsmouth, because of his unsuccessful practice for many years he wrote his first novel The Narrative of John Smith, but it was published until 2011. He become aware of his talent as a writer and he proved it to everyone after writing The Study in Scarlet which was first published in Beeton's Christmas Annual for 1887. After that success again, he continue writing.

The first volume of the book composes of 2 novels (The Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four) and 3 compilation of short stories and mini adventures of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson (Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Memoir of Sherlock Holmes and The Return of Sherlock Holmes). This very thick book won't stop you from reading it but I suggest, as the reader, that you don't have to read it consecutively not because you'll bored to death but to enjoy his writing faithfully.

Another problem with his stories is that he only uses the same formula from the first novel until the last story. I think most of you guys already read his stories and I think most of you manage to find the similarities if each story but still the fun of reading it never ends because of Arthur Conan Doyle's surprises in the end of each story. So far, I only enjoyed one story or novel in the book;

The Story in Scarlet - This is the first published work of Arthur Conan Doyle and I loved it! The story first introduced the narrator, the doctor from the war, Dr. John Watson, came upon this idea to be with Sherlock Holmes after a crisis to pay his rent. After that unexpected meeting, he becomes aware of the presence of the mad scientist and they become one of the greatest superheroes without powers in their own generation.

What I love about the novel is that he uses science (of course, because he is a doctor) and common sense to solve the cases. It was simple but how he delivered the story made it more powerful and surprising. One thing he usually do is to make the killer hidden in the first few chapter and will only appear in the end of the story. That is the reason why, if you are looking for a good guess-the-murderer-book please don't read this.

And the others... Well, they have all the same formula and I don't have further comments about them or had this urge to discuss further from it. Some are interesting but some are totally duplicated by each other and a little make-up and everything is okay. I don't know where my cat goes and I'll try to find help from Sherlock Holmes later but first, I want to remind you guys that your life is at stake!

Review posted on Old-Fashioned Reader .

Rating: Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume 1 by Arthur Conan Doyle, 3 Sweets

Challenges:
Book #269 for 2011
Book #131 for Off the Shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sherlock Holmes.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

kimyunalesca Yey! Finally! XD

message 7: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Sep 04, 2011 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Ugh, yeah and I'm happy that I continue reading this book. I stopped in the second novel and I am bound to read it this year. So far, I appreciate the first novel (A Study in Scarlet)and I was so damn shocked by how he wrote the first part.

kimyunalesca I'm really glad you did and I'm instantly hooked with this one so enjoy!happy reading!

Kwesi 章英狮 Thanks, I still have 3 weeks to finish this book. Cross my finger and hoping.

message 4: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Hah. Hope you find that cat. ;)

jzhunagev I like to try Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, unfortunately I haven't found the edition that I like — and I want an omnibus of all of Sherlock's cases. *le sighe*

Kwesi 章英狮 Yeah, I heard that once from you. Anyway, you can buy anytime that omnibus of 'yours'. Haha.