notgettingenough 's Reviews > SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC. The Journals of Captain R.F. Scott's Last Polar Expedition.

SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC. The Journals of Captain R.F. Scott's ... by Robert Falcon Scott

Dec 02, 10

bookshelves: adventure, science-sort-of

Well, I didn’t know what it would be like. I’m Australian, I’ve never seen fucken snow before. So I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque and here I am, in Geneva in the snow and I have to say I have a pretty good idea of how Scott felt now.

My knitting group meets about an eight minute walk away, I set out way way early and I’d done my research, but like Scott, mistakes were made.

For a start I brought the wrong dogs. They were rubbish sled-pullers. And when I decided en route that I had to kill one of them for food, I should have noticed that the Manor Food store was just across the street from me…Sushi or pizza would have been so much simpler.

I’ll bet Scott had a conversation something like this when he was setting out:

Scott’s mother: Walter Raleigh Scott, you come back here right now. Right now.
Scott hops off the sled, goes to front door.
Scott’s mother: What have you forgotten to say before you go?
Scott thinks about this. Ummm. Thanks for the sandwiches?
Scott’s mother: Exactly. It’s a mom’s job isn’t it? You boys just go out galavanting in the snow, having fun while moms are home making the sandwiches and endlessly hoovering. And don’t you forget it.
Scott can see his fellow explorers in the sled, possibly laughing at him. Ummm. Gotta go now Mom.
Scott’s mother: Not yet young man. And what have you forgotten? The same thing as last time and the time before?
Scott looks at the sled which is just full of stuff and shrugs. I dunno, Mom. What?
Scott’s mother: Your jumper, you big wally. Honestly. What would you all do without Mom?
Scott finally escapes as Mom yells her parting words: And don't you be two years late for dinner like last time. It's the last meal I'll be cooking for you, I'm just telling you that right now.

Well nobody said that to me and I was halfway down the street before I noticed I didn’t have a jumper on. The dogs refused to turn around, like it was their problem? I should have eaten the lot of them.

But finally I do arrive. So I’m at Starbucks, get out of my sled and start tying it up to a tree when somebody in a uniform says ‘What are you doing?’ I say ‘Going to my knitting group’ and he says ‘No, that’s not what I mean, I mean there, what’s that?’ I don’t speak French. It’s possible he said ‘What the fuck’s that?’ He looked a bit like that’s what he meant to say. Is this guy a complete idiot, I ask myself. ‘H-e-lllooo. It’s my sled? Snow? Sled?’ Even in Australia we get the snow sled thing. I start wondering if maybe he’s Austrian or something. (Little joke to solicit votes from any Swiss goodreaders looking at this.) At this point I handed him my parking permit for ‘sled and eight dogs’ ahem, albeit seven at this point. My pre-trip research indicated that Swiss love documentation. Indeed, he looked a bit surprised, as well he might. I bought it for five bucks at a fakeIDonline site. But still, he was happy now. He even tried patting the dogs, which was a mistake on his part.

Damn. I’m not feeling all that great, I’ve just been checking wiki and it transpires I completely got the eating dog thing arse about. I thought the part you had to eat was the liver. It turns out that’s the only bit you mustn’t eat. Fuck. The ambulance is on its way – I’ll –

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC. The Journals of Captain R.F. Scott's Last Polar Expedition..

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scribble (last edited Dec 02, 2010 12:49AM) (new)

Scribble Orca I'll be on the German/Austrian border from Boxing Day til Jan 6. You can come and sled with us. And we do have a dog. A desert dog. She can help you acclimatise, but as we are vegetarian, consumption of our dog is forbidden. And she's extremely adept at self-defence.

notgettingenough G N wrote: "I'll be on the German/Austrian border from Boxing Day til Jan 6. You can come and sled with us. And we do have a dog. A desert dog. She can help you acclimatise, but as we are vegetarian, consu..."

Written from hospital: I'm never eating dog again. Not even the right bits.

That sounds like a lovely invitation! I'll come as long as I don't have to go sledding. I'm a bit suspicious of modern fandangled ways of getting about. I walk a lot, problematical as I am discovering that is in the snow.

Being from Australia I can never get used to the idea of flitting about from country to country willy-nilly. Lunch here, theatre there, sledding there.

message 3: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca I recommend a pair of lang-lauf skis. It's walking by sliding and you can snack on struedel in Sud-Tirol in the morning and be home for Bayern pfannenkuchen in the afternoon.

It is advisable to use the ICE to make the journey between Geneve and Muenchen. Otherwise it will take you as long to arrive as Walter Raleigh Scott took to scale Everest.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan what do you mean Not you seem always to be flitting from country to country..
compared to me that is.

message 5: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker LOL!! Good one! (And ohhhh I am soooo jealous. I wanna go on holiday too!!!!!)

message 6: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Whitaker, we can pick you up in Singapore on the way back from Australia - same rules, of course!

Alan, Switzerland to Germany is hardly country to country...not if one hails from the world's smallest continent and the globe's largest island. And you could do likewise - Eurostar, Ryanair....the possibilities are endless!

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan Yeh I know - I'm going to!

message 8: by Scribble (last edited Dec 02, 2010 02:01AM) (new)

Scribble Orca Sounds like we're organising GR groupie get-together in the south of Germany! And all because NGE over-indulged in dog and snow.

notgettingenough Whitaker wrote: "LOL!! Good one! (And ohhhh I am soooo jealous. I wanna go on holiday too!!!!!)"

Whitaker and I promise not to eat your dog. Unless it's in an irresistible laksa, that is.

message 10: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca No laksa recipes where I live. No green curry or coconut milk - far too exotic. Only deftig Bavarian fare to keep you warm and solid on your skis!

notgettingenough G N wrote: "No laksa recipes where I live. No green curry or coconut milk - far too exotic. Only deftig Bavarian fare to keep you warm and solid on your skis!"

message 12: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker notgettingenough wrote: "Whitaker. What are we going to do about that. I'm kind of serious. I must say hawker food is the thing I desperately miss over this part of the world."

Huh? Get thee to London. I hear there are some pretty decent Singapore/Malaysian food restaurants there which do a very passable simulcrum of hawker food. If you want, I should be able to ask my London friends for some names.

Unless you're asking me to fed-ex oyster omelette to you?

message 13: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca Humph! Well, if my Muenchen Thai isn't good enough?!?!?!?

I thought you wanted to eat laksa in the snow! It's very difficult for the hawkers to negotiate on wheels so they tend to congregate in the metropoli.

notgettingenough Whitaker wrote: "notgettingenough wrote: "Whitaker. What are we going to do about that. I'm kind of serious. I must say hawker food is the thing I desperately miss over this part of the world."

Unless you're asking me to fed-ex oyster omelette to you?
"

Well, I tried a Singapore restaurant in London Chinatown some months ago and I got sick. Now, probably that had nothing to do with the restaurant, it was probably because I ate about a hundred scones earlier in the day and it would have been better not to do that.

But otherwise, it is true, I would have said it was a passable place. Still, if you have somebody who knows in London, I would be very curious to know where they suggest going. I want Nonya and I want laksa. The rest will stand or fall on these.

message 15: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker Lemme email my friends and get back to you. Give me a couple of days... it might take a while.

message 16: by Scribble (new)

Scribble Orca This is a very good idea. Not can fulfil her craving for non-dog-based laksa in the wilds of the London jungle before braving the pristine Alps when we return.

notgettingenough Whitaker wrote: "Lemme email my friends and get back to you. Give me a couple of days... it might take a while."

G N wrote: "This is a very good idea. Not can fulfil her craving for non-dog-based laksa in the wilds of the London jungle before braving the pristine Alps when we return."

I must confess to an addiction which is never satisfied for laksa. In Melbourne I finally found a good laksa place many miles from where I live. If I lived around the corner, I'd eat there every day and maybe only have laksa five times a week and try everything else on the other days. But I don't. So, every single time I go there it is laksa. And po piahs if they are about.

They do good Nonya too. I have tried that on occasion.

message 18: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker notgettingenough wrote: "Whitaker wrote: "Lemme email my friends and get back to you. Give me a couple of days... it might take a while."

Well, if you are ever around my neck of the woods, I know an excellent Nonya place.

notgettingenough Whitaker wrote: "notgettingenough wrote: "Whitaker wrote: "Lemme email my friends and get back to you. Give me a couple of days... it might take a while."

G N wrote: "This is a very good idea. Not can fulfil her ..."

The last time I was in Singapore was in the airport a couple of months ago. I ate the laksa at one of the little restaurants there and it was really quite good, so I had a second. That's my entire fill for months. What I REALLY need is somewhere in Geneva!!! Find me one of those and I'll fed-ex you the omelette...

message 20: by Manny (new)

Manny Lovely! I just have a couple of small suggestions:

Scott’s mother: Your jumper skis, you big wally. Honestly. What would you all do without Mom? Do you want Norwegians to laugh at you for the next 100 years?