Laura's Reviews > Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice

Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice by Tetsu Kariya

Nov 14, 14

bookshelves: manga, educational, graphic-novels
Read from November 07 to 13, 2014

Reading all about gohan (rice) who would think it could possibly be that interesting? I've now got a serious craving for some RICE BALLS!

Rice is taken for granted as an every day food but the way this manga teaches you about different ways to prepare it makes you realise HOW important it is to the Japanese people. However, I was a little surprised to read some sexist comments...Taking how old this manga is I just rolled my eyes and moved along but I can't help but think IF it was written for a Western audience that the sexist comments would of created a stir. But in saying this I am happy it was included (I know I sound contradictory) because if it was changed the WHOLE storyline would of been altered like when Haruka and Michiru (in Sailor Moon) were posed as "close cousins" instead of a lesbian couple.

I'm now craving rice balls because there was a whole chapter on how to make different sorts. I've always thought about them either being plain with some toasted sea weed wrapped around them or when you bit into the centered you'd find something like mayo/tuna...Well, this isn't the case...SO many different sorts! While Japanese are very, very keen on seafood and I'm not, I still find myself wanting to experience all the different styles of rice balls..Haha!

My only real negative thought is about the character development and because this is a "best of" we get things that REALLY contradict from volume to volume. It can't be helped because of what has been done and if you've read my other reviews you'll notice I highlight on this every time..I guess it's more a personal bug because if you're just reading it for the food then this won't worry you in the slightest.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oishinbo a la carte, Volume 6 - The Joy of Rice.

11/07/2014 marked as: currently-reading