Shannon 's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, favorites
Read from June 03 to 04, 2011

This is one of those reviews where I feel like no matter what I say it will not do justice to how much I loved the book. I did read the prequel novel Daimon and loved that also. I think it is a great idea to start with that one if you can (though it is not necessary because everything is explained well in the book). Half-Blood starts right in the middle of action and I was hooked immediately. There was actually a lot of action throughout the book and I think those scenes are written well. I point that out because I find that sometimes I skim over action scenes if they are not done well and I did not do that once in this book.

Alex is a great main character; she is spunky, smart and she grows over the course of the book. Aiden is a really great guy character. He is the dark and mysterious type to swoon over if you are inclined to do that sort of thing. Ok, fine, I might have swooned a little too. Their connection is incredibly fun to explore. You know right from the start that they are forbidden to be together. That fact leads to some of my favorite scenes this year. Their training sessions are especially fun, Aiden has a serious undertaking when it comes to training her. Her mind is often more focused on his physical attributes than on his words so Alex has a hard time actually learning what she is supposed to at first.

The story itself is rooted in mythology but it was not like anything else that I have read. I really liked the idea of the Pures and the Half-Bloods and their interactions. I think it is a world that is very well thought out. The future that Alex faces is uncertain and she has to grow up a bit to even begin to deal with everything that is happening. The story takes some very interesting twists and turns and I loved being surprised by them. I can not wait to see what the next book in the series brings. Book 2 in the series, Pure, is expected to be released in April of 2012.

BOTTOM LINE: One of my favorite books of the year, I can not wait for book 2.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

06/04/2011 page 38