Erica's Reviews > The Prophet of Yonwood

The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne DuPrau

May 08, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in May, 2011

I was utterly disappointed in this book. I loved Ember, liked Sparks, and HATED this. Duprau seems to have a simple writing style, which perhaps it's because it's geared towards younger readers, or maybe that's just her. It really worked for her in the other of this series because of the characters/limited education of the characters/type of world they were living in. But in this one, something was just off. There we also other times I found myself saying, "a 12 year old would never use that kind of vocabulary"
So overall I didn't think the style of writing fit the time period of the book or the character very well.

I forced myself to finish this book to see how it would tie into Ember. I had to keep reading, and keep reading, and keep reading.I put it down for a long while and for me it was not a "have to know what happens next!" kind of story.

Finally,the relation to Ember it is pitifully put in as almost an afterthought in the very last pages of the book, the last 5 or so. This really irked me!

I thought this prequal really had amazing potential, and it would have been much more interesting to hear the story of the builders, than a dragging plot of the random adventured of a young girl during a time of potential war.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet of Yonwood.

04/13/2011 page 73