Troy G's Reviews > Mistress of the Empire

Mistress of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist

Dec 12, 10

bookshelves: reviewed

So concludes the best trilogy ever written. When I think about this book, in many ways I think of the supporting cast. I could retitle the book "Arakasi and Lujan" as those are the two character's whose plots most resonated with me. These two characters had perhaps the most drastic arc from the first novel in the trilogy when they were little more than outlaws. In this novel they are so very much more. More than they ever could have been without the intervention of Mara.

That is her greatest gift as a character. Mara is able to inspire those around her to be great. Were Lujan and Arakasi ever normal? Probably not, but the path they were on was destined to be of little consequence to the rest of the world. Empowered by Mara they rise to heights that were unimaginable to them at birth. The fate of social reform hinges on their decisions and advice. Much more so than it does any action directly taken by Mara.

There was no doubt that Mara's meteoric rise would continue in this novel, and it does. The journey it takes has consequences to her, to those around her, and to the greater empire she represents. Those consequences are where the story lies, and the path of her rise contains twists and turns as one might expect.

The world of the Tsunami is expanded on last time in this novel. As always, Raymond Feist's talent for world building is obvious. The new lands explored are vivid, fresh, and interesting. There are callbacks to other books from his Midkimea universe that are rewarding to those who have read them.

I strongly recommend this book to everyone, but you should first read the other two in the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of the Empire.