Troy G's Reviews > Daughter of the Empire

Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: reviewed

My review of this book benefits from having read the rest of the greatest trilogy ever written. This book is exceptional, but has far more flaws than the other books in the Empire trilogy.

Where this book really shines is the world. It is new and vivid. It has been compared to medieval Japan, Korea, China, or other eastern places. I can see those comparisons, but in truth, I think this is something of a eastern twist on a medieval Europe. This amalgamation results in something fresh and interesting.

The characters are likewise interesting, though not Mara herself(surprisingly). Rather it is the supporting characters that shine. Each of them is gifted on their own, but depend on others to bring out their gifts. Mara's greatest skill is to make those around her become greater than before.

Now the problems. There are some internal logic flaws in the state of the world as we enter it. Why would a person strip his lands of soldiers so completely to fight a foreign war, that there aren't enough left to defend against common criminals?

Also, Mara's marriage was uncomfortable for me from start to finish. This might have been intentional, but I didn't care for it.

Lastly, a couple problems rely on too much coincidence and luck to be solved. I didn't care for how the Minwabi were dealt with, or the seemingly idiotic rules that made it possible. I think the authors went to far creating an impossible foe. All of these problems are solved in the other books in the series.

Problems aside, this is the first novel in the greatest trilogy ever written. I recommend it to everyone. You should read it. I mean it!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Empire.