Troy G's Reviews > Cobra Alliance

Cobra Alliance by Timothy Zahn

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in April, 2011

There are problems here that weren't in the first trillogy, but let me start with the good. The world of Qsama is more detailed than ever, and seems both interesting and somewhat practical for paranoid survivalist types. The Qsamans seem to have a more consistant, and interesting culture than before. There are certain parallells to mid-eastern cultures that I never recognized before, and I was really fascinated to see that explored.

I also felt like the action sequences were nearly as good as they've ever been in any of the cobra books. We know all of the capabilities of the cobras at this point, but still action seems haven't become repeditive. I think the main credit for this is due to the changing circumstances and terrain.

Now the Bad. Jasmin is even less interesting than in the last book. I'm not sure how this is possible. She has apparently gone senial, and can no longer think deeply about anything. Her son, Merrick seems fairly immature. He has few distinguishing features despite the ability to think things through strategically, and be fairly observant.

Also, the mission is iexplicably composed on Jasmin and Merrick only. Apparently the cobra worlds have completely lost the ability to plan an exbidition, and to chose people for their talents rather than their last name. I don't get it. One of the thrills of the earlier books is the idea that different people have different specialities and depending on a mix of skills is important. That is gone completely, and it is a shame.

I recommend this book to those who loved the first 3 (like me). Everybody else should go read those.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cobra Alliance.