Troy G's Reviews > Blade of Tyshalle

Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Woodring Stover

Dec 05, 10

bookshelves: reviewed

This book has been described as better than its prequel "Heroes Die". It may be. But since I read "Heroes Die" first, it felt like much of this book was a retread. The pace of "Heroes Die" was so fast that it didn't leave me room to stop and question plot points, or inconsistencies in the world. With "The Blade of Tyshalle" because I was more familiar with the world I started questioning things.

I appreciate that the focus character isn't a pure hero, but Stover here tried to have it both ways with the adversary. He tried to justify his actions as motivated by simple human emotions of Greed, but then he also tried to turn the villains into complete irredeemable monsters. It became a little too far for me.

All that aside, there is much to like in this book. The central character is interesting, the action is well done, and the worlds are somewhat novel. I would recommend this book to those that read and liked "Heroes Die". Those with reservations about Heroes Die are going to find them magnified here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blade of Tyshalle.