Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > Vanish

Jul 28, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, ya-paranormal, own-it
Read from July 18 to 24, 2011

Originally posted here.

Vanish by Sophie Jordan continues the story that began in Firelight, introducing us to the hidden world of draki (or, as I refer to them in my head, the dragonish). If you enjoyed the first book, you'll definitely fall for this one too! I liked it just as much as the first.

In this book, Jacinda and her family find themselves back where they started - home. What will the consequences be for running away? Also: right off the bat is a big shocker involving Tamra (Jacinda's sister), so from the get-go you get some action. A lot of the book is spent more in angst though, between Jacinda's constant mental battles about the men in her life and whether or not she really wants to stay with the draki or ride off into the wild blue yonder with Will.

You know that feeling you had when you were a teenager (or, the one you have now if you ARE a teenager) where every single thing that happens in your life seems like the Biggest. Deal. Ever.? Well Jacinda definitely injects the book with that sense of high drama. I don't really mean that as a criticism - I mean, she is a teen, so the behavior is normal. Also, Sophie knows her writing - it wasn't actually so over the top it was annoying. For the most part, I just found it amusing (although I might be more forgiving than usual since I'm invested in the series).

Also, I agree with some of the other reviews I've seen popping up - Will who? I am totally in Cassian's camp now (I'm definitely generous with this series - look at me talking about love triangles! I usually hate them). I got a little sick of the Will-related melodrama - he just didn't seem worth all the efforts Jacinda went to. Of course, maybe I'm just being fickle. He was a constant presence in the first book, and in this one it was Cassian always around - so maybe that is behind my switch. Either way, I honestly don't know where Sophie will end up taking us in the next book, and not being able to predict the ending is awesome! That is not often the case.

So, definitely a great book for Firelight fans - I feel confident in saying that you will not be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanish.

07/18/2011 page 31