Candice's Reviews > Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee

Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields

Dec 08, 10

Read from December 01 to 08, 2010

A very good biography of Harper Lee. Miss Lee would not grant the author any interviews, so he had to get his information by interviewing friends and acquaintances as well as hundreds of written accounts. He did an admirable job of putting all of this together into a very readable and enlightening picture of Nelle Harper Lee. I was taken in from the very beginning where Nelle is going to her agent's office in the midst of a huge March snowstorm. Throughout the book, we get a picture of the author, her friend since childhood, Truman Capote, and 1950s-1960s America. A good portion of the book is devoted to Nelle Lee's part in researching Capote's In Cold Blood. What we also see is just how exhausting it can can be to be a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist. I remember reading To Kill a Mockingbird in the 9th grade and loving it. Loved Gregory Peck in the movie. And loved reading all about the author and her deservedly highly acclaimed novel. I feel that I now know and understand Harper Lee much better. And I can't wait until next week when Charles J. Shields visits our book discussion group!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.