Morgan F's Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

This is one of those books I was reeaaally hoping to love. All my friends did. But, honestly, I don't see how. It wasn't anything special.

For one thing, I found it unrealistic. Yes, I know its a paranormal, but that should make it illogical, not unrealistic. In real life, at least at my school, there is very little open hostility between goths and jocks. Sly commentary, maybe but straight out violence? Nope. And truthfully, there are few goths anymore. Most of them turned either emo or scene. And of course the main character had to be a cheerleader (the stereotyped opposite of gothness) and her boyfriend had to be a quarterback because thats just how the world works, dunnit? It just didn't seem true for me. I don't know. Maybe things are different in the South.

I didn't like the writing. I prefer first person. I dislike third person that wants to be first person. There were sentences like: "Isobel tried the door. There was no one there. Duh". Who is the one duhing? Isobel or the narrator who thinks like Isobel? And I didn't like the random quips. I found them a little cheesy and unfunny.

I wasn't a big fan of either Isobel and Varen. They were stereotypical, and Isobel annoyed the heck out of me. I kept wanting to call her Brittney for some reason. She was very rash, sort of immature, and quite cheesy. She didn't quite make it on my annoying characters shelf, but she was close. Varen, I'm sorry ladies, but he was boring. He did nothing. If he was a girl, everyone would call him out for being bithcy, but since he is a guy that is somehow sexy. And besides, there is only one goth boy in my life: Erik Derenksi. Hear that Erik?! We are gonna get maaaaaarried!! Aw, don't run away! *shrugs* He acts like he hates me, but he loves me. He does. And guess what, Kim! He hates babies too! You guys can sit on them together. Oh whats that in the distance? Hmm, I believe it is my point, running far far away from here........Anyway, Varen did not make me swoon.

Oh, and Gwen? A totally obvious plot device. She appears out of nowhere at the most convenient times. I wish I had a friend that was willing to drop everything to deal with the drama in my life.

And I felt the end was inconsistent with the rest of the novel. The beginning was slow-going, a crazed raven here, a funky dream there, but the end was like WHOOSH. Kind of like the Incredible Hulk coaster at Universal Studios. Here you are just cruising along the track, chugga chugga chugga, then KABMLAM! You are being shot of cannon and taking an upside-down plunge. The ending was just some crazy paranormal hodgepodge. I nearly got whiplash. The pacing and content didn't match, and that bothered me.

Overall, meh. Nitpicks aside, I liked it but I never got the OMG THIS IS SO GOOD feeling. It was a solid three stars, but I'll give it a virtual half-star more because I think the cover, particularly Isobel, is gorgeous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

01/02/2011 page 84
15.0% "I'm beginning to warm up a little to the characters."
01/04/2011 page 112
21.0% "Is Varen real life? Or is he some type of Poe apparition? Gah, I hate ebooks! Its tougher to peak at the end." 1 comment
01/07/2011 page 243
45.0% "I wish I could have automatic best friends."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Yaaaaaaaay!

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Happy reading!

Morgan F So far Isobel is a bitch.

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic She gets better. What do you think of yummy Varen?

~Tina~ This book is hypnotizing! Happy Reading!

Morgan F Varen.....he reminds me of this creeper kid in school who is the opposite of sexy. Hopefully that mental image fades....

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim The opposite of sexy? Even with a lip ring?

Morgan F The creeper kid doesn't have one, but an eyebrow ring instead. I do not like eyebrow rings on guys.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim 3.5 is still okay.

Morgan F I liked it. But I didn't love it as much as the rest of you guys did. I had some issues.

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I blame creepy eyebrow ring kid.

Morgan F I'm not gonna lie. He might have played a part.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Damn, I tried to Google up a Varen and a fugly emo kid, but I only came up with a lot of fugly emo kids and a surprisingly high number pictures of emo guys making out.

Morgan F Oh, I wouldn't think it so surprising.

~Tina~ Great review Morg, sorry this wasn't all that for ya hun, but I'm glad you didn't hate it =D

message 16: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Ah crap sorry you didn't like it more. Good review and actually learnt something from it - scene - never knew it meant emo too!

message 17: by Lyndsey (last edited Jan 10, 2011 01:14PM) (new) - added it

Lyndsey Loved your point about the third person narration. In third person, anything considered inner dialogue really should be illustrated somehow, preferedly with italics.

"Oh whats that in the distance? Hmm, I believe it is my point, running far far away from here......."

LMAO. I'm sure it didn't get too far away. You could probably still catch it...

message 18: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim ROFL, Morgan. For the record, I don't hate babies, I just don't like them. ^^

Morgan F I don't sense much difference.

Baby-hater.

~Tina~ How can you dislike babies? There so cute >.<

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I see you haven't gotten over the armpit sniffing thing yet.

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I think they forgot to add a dash of motherly feelings in my mix.

And when I try to be really careful with something it usually falls, burns, explodes or disappears. (or all of the above)

Morgan F Remind me never to let you near my cat.

message 24: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Oh cats can handle themselves. ^^

Jessica Love the review Morg! I'm sorry you didn't like it much, though.

Arlene ...there is only one goth boy in my life: Erik Derenksi. Hear that Erik?! We are gonna get maaaaaarried!! Aw, don't run away! *shrugs* He acts like he hates me, but he loves me. He does.

I knew I should have waited till I got home to read this. Gah! Called out! Hilarious review Morgan. :D

Morgan F Thanks, Arlene!

That Erik kid is one of those loner types, so I make it my mission to talk to him whenever I possibly can. And for some reason, we always accidentally hurt each other. Like the time I slammed his fingers between two desks (it was an accident!) or when he tipped over the chair I was sitting in (...that I'm not so sure).