Sabrina Rutter's Reviews > The Demon Trapper's Daughter

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

Dec 01, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, arcs, ya-horror-fantasy-series

I was really excited to win this book from the Firstreads giveaway here on Goodreads! I have to admit that while I wasn't completely let down I was let down somewhat. The action was excellent! Riley is not a weakling! She's brave, and not afriad to back down just becuase she's a girl doing what is usually exclusively only a males job, trapping demons. The author is very talented as I definantly havn't read anything like this before!
The year in the story is 2018, I personally would have went a lot further into the future seeing how 2018 is not really that far off. If the author had explained more about how things got so bad it would have added to the world building. I don't recall one time it explaining in the story how the demons became such a big part of the world. Also it says that there has been generations of demon trappers yet it doesn't explain the history of demon trapping at all. A little background would have led to a greater understanding as to why the world is now infested with demons.
Keep in mind that this is an ARC I read and not the actual finished copy of the book, but I have to mention the writing mistakes becuase there were so many it nearly drove me crazy! Believe me I usually don't mention the writing at all becuase I'm definantly not the best at grammer, but to see this from a published author is insane! I could understand a few misplaced words here or there or maybe one time forgetting to add the correct punctuation so that the reader knows that it's actually being said in the story and not just a thought. I have read a lot of ARC's and never have I seen that many mistakes in one book, even if you add them all together it still wouldn't come close to the amount found in this book. I really hope those are all fixed in the final copy!
At this point I'm undecided about the next book in the series. While I enjoyed the story I felt there were many things lacking, and I'm not sure how much more of the "ah" word I can take.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Trapper's Daughter.

12/09/2010 page 1