Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > The Familiars

The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein

The Familiars is such a great, action packed, full of humor, quick, fun and engaging read. I think this is one book that middle graders, and fans of good old magical adventures will enjoy reading. With a loyal trio of unlikely heros, Aldwyn, Gilbert and Skylar had me laughing out loud, and wishing I had pet companions like them.

The familiars are animal companions with magical abilities who become life long companions with a young human apprentice. When Aldwyn, Gilbert and Sklyar's Wizard apprentices are kidnapped by the evil queen, they set off to save them. Their action packed journey is one of danger, plots twits and of personal growth, as Aldwyn has to face the lies he's been telling, that he has no magic powers. He's not the only one with secrets.

I really enjoyed Aldwyn's character. The story is told from his point of view and we get to see how far he's grown from being a scrappy alley cat, to accidentally finding himself as a Familiar and what his new found power is. With Aldwyn's instinct for survival, Skylar's need to learn human magic and Gilbert's funny one liners, this trio's talents will make for an adventure they won't ever forget, nor will readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Familiars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Orangegirl8 The tree frog's name is Gilbert, fyi

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Thank you so much. I have no idea how the name Gregory was added.

Andrew Jacobson Hi, I'm one of the authors of The Familiars. I see that you have marked my book as to-read. Now would be a great time to catch up on the first book and its sequel, Secrets of the Crown, in paperback or e-reader. You can find them in bookstores everywhere or on-line! Thanks.