Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Sleepless

Sleepless by Cyn Balog

Dec 01, 10

bookshelves: 2009-100-book-challenge, books-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews
Read in November, 2010

I was really drawn to Sleepless by both the cover (it's a catchy cover) and the premise. The story follows Julia, who's just lost her boyfriend in a tragic accident and Eron DeMarchelle, who's a Sandman and has been one for the last 100 years. Now that his time is set to expire, Eron will become human again as soon as his replacement takes over. To not giveaway any spoilers, the new Sandman wants to stop Eron from becoming human, as Eron has fallen for Julia, the girl he's watched over since she was a baby and recently sworn to protect, it's not the first time he's protected her.

I found Sleepless to be very unique, as I've not read a book about Sandman before. I liked that part of the story, and I liked Eron, but I had a very hard time really getting into the story and liking any of the other characters. The story is told from both Julia and and Eron's point of views, which worked great for the story. I really wanted to like Julia more, but I felt like I didn't get to really know her until towards the every end of the book.

I felt like I was able to get to know Eron more, as he reminisces about his life in Italy and why his family immigrated to The United States, and seeing how he struggled with being human 100 years after he has been a sandman. In watching Eron and Julia's relationship grow, I felt that there was a couple things missing. I didn't feel a connection to them, nor did I feel they had a strong connection to keep me invested in the story, until the last few pages of the book.

I felt the ending was a little too sudden and wrapped up things a little too quickly. I was hoping to get to know more about the characters and to see where their story would continue, especially with one character who's choices through out the story directly effected Julia and Eron, and in the end, I felt his actions were excused a bit to too quickly.

While I had wanted to like Sleepless more than I did, I think it's a book that will appeal to many readers who like unique spins on fairy tales and myths. It's not a read with strong character chemistry or in-depth characters, but a short, light hearted read you can easily read in a couple hours while sitting on a warm sandy beach, or cuddled up under the blankets, sitting in front of a fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepless.