Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > The Poison Diaries

Dec 01, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010-100-book-challenge, arcs-i-own, mundie-moms-reviews
Read in July, 2010

The Poison Diaries is a story that fascinated me. I liked that a whole story was woven around botany, mixed in with romance and given a twist at the end. Maryrose Wood really set the tone for The Poison Dairies in her setting. The countryside was described beautifully, and yet had a dreary, gothic feeling to it. It was captivating, erie and real. The story introduces us to Jessamine and her father, who live a very isolated life in a small, run down cottage on the out skirts of the Alnwick Castle grounds. Jessamine's father is obsessed with finding curses with his plants and is often called to assist in helping someone who's sick or injured and healing them. His greatest obsession is his beloved poison garden which Jessamine is forbidden to enter. With her father being gone up to a couple days at a time, Jessamine finds herself lonely, until a stranger is brought to their house, Weed.

It wasn't until Weed's appearance in the book, did I feel the story pick up for me. The language, being authentic for the time period gave the story a real historically feeling. Though it took me a couple chapters to really get into the story, once I did, I didn't put the book down until I finished. It's a quick read, as it doesn't take long for Jessamine and Weed's relationship to grow. Jessamine wasn't a character I connected to, but she was still a character I enjoyed reading about, as she is at a stage in life where she wants her work obsessed father to stop treating her as child and treat like the young adult she's becoming.

Weed's character is one I really enjoyed. He is a wild, broken boy, who's both intriguing and a bit sinister. Weed has a supernatural power that I was intrigued with. It added a new element to the story. His love for Jessamine is so sincere and I really liked reading about their stolen moments together. The dark plot twist at the end took me for surprise and gave the book a darker feeling. It was something I didn't see coming. What I had loved about the book, was a little lost in that feeling. Having said that, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, when the next book in the series is released.

I was so intrigued by The Poison Diaries and the concept, that I did a little research into it. I needed to know more about the story, which is based on the Poison Garden of The Duchess of Northumberland. You can find out more the real Poison Gardens and the story behind Maryrose Wood's series here http://tinyurl.com/2v3bw4f. I would definitely recommend this for 14 years and up and I think it's going to be a series that readers will become fascinated with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Diaries.

Poison  Diaries As someone who has shown an interest in the Poison Diaries & to celebrate the release of Nightshade, book 2 in the trilogy, (UK Sept/ USA Oct) we are giving the first chapter away for free plus the first 100 to sign up get some free Poisonous treasures. http://bit.ly/nightshadegiveaway love Poison Diaries HQ x

PS. Apologies if you already received this on the Nightshade page.
Join in the conversation & talk to us on Facebook & Twitter /poisondiaries.

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Thank you so much for letting us know!

Poison  Diaries Pleasure! :)

Poison  Diaries Hi Mundie Moms, we hope you enjoyed the 1st chapter installments of Nightshade, maybe you'd like a sneak preview of what Kirkus, the influential US trade reviewer, had to say about Nightshade http://bit.ly/NshadeKirkusReview. Best wishes from the Poison Diaries team

Poison  Diaries Hi there, hope your 2012 going well so far! If you're interested in learning more about deadly poisons - as featured in the Poison Diaries do have a look at our Tumblr - http://thepoisondiaries.tumblr.com/ - let us know what you think! Best wishes from the Poison Dairies HQ.