Alfredo Urrea's Reviews > The Sun Also Rises

M 50x66
Dec 01, 10

Read in November, 2010

The Sun also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
Reading this book was something. I felt the beginning of the book could have been left it or moved to a different spot and have a stronger opening. I feel he should of started with a more detailed description of Jake Barnes past. As the story unfolds we are introduces to lady Brett. Who got down and dirty was Jake one time, Jake also happens to be narrating the story from his point of view. Brett is the type of women that goes around and sleeps with any man that is “It” at that given moment. But it is safe to say that she does have an admirer, Robert Cohn, and because he is always following her, he is mucks and abused. Later in the book Robert stands up and fights back, he fights mike, which at that point is Brett fiance. I feel that whole event was the turning point of the book. It was the part where the little guy wasn’t going to get pushed around anymore.
Overall I did not like this book. I felt it took forever to read and although it does have fighting episode, and there is betrayals but this book didn’t fully capture me. This book was good in the since that it follow some friends and told there story as it happened but that’s it nothing more. Reading this made me think of a show, That 70’s Show, in the fact that there a group of friend and they all feed off each other. So if you were to remove one of them the others wouldn’t be complete anymore.
I would not recommend this book to anyone would like action books or fast moving book because this book it slow going and there isn’t any action to the middle of the book. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good book to like read when you’re bored, but its not a book to have fun. There is great description but its not and book like Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank. Where the whole book it filled with action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Also Rises.