Amanda's Reviews > Ecology of a Cracker Childhood

Ecology of a Cracker Childhood by Janisse Ray

Dec 01, 10

bookshelves: 2010, it-s-kinda-true
Recommended to Amanda by: Got it from Coventry's free book exchange, or maybe I got it from Jessica Treat. I can't remember.
Read from August 01, 2009 to December 01, 2010, read count: 1

I did not like this book. It had a spanking scene and I can't overcome a spanking scene. Tooooo much for me to handle.

There were, however, two incidences of AMAZING WONDERFULNESS in this book.

A. The chapter in which she describes her father's depression, institutionalization, and love for his wife. Leafing through the pages, I can't find the passage. I am sad to not be able to re-experience it today.

B. The two chapters near the very end, entitled "The Kindest Cut" and "Leaving." She writes of scenes that make me want to walk again in the world, find awe in what's new, and learn who I am myself.

I have now come away from the end of this book (after so many months apart). It feels good to finish and to look at the sunshine and sky, thinking and reflecting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ecology of a Cracker Childhood.

12/01/2010 page 252
113.0% "1. I'm on page 252, but it says there are only 224 pages in this book. Dude.

2. I'm really surprised I never "currently read" this book. I started it 1.5 years ago. Blah.

3. This book is pretty boring. BUT THIS PART IS GORGEOUS: A dude named Leon says, "Many of the pines around us are over two hundred years old and have outlasted any human on the face of the planet...This is what heaven should be.""
show 1 hidden update…