Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > The Summer Before

The Summer Before by Ann M. Martin

Being a huge fan of the original Baby Sitters Club, I gave this book 5 stars, as Ann did a wonderful job at keeping the integrity of the characters and being true to their voices. I feel that author sometimes tend to forget their true characters when they add a book to their popular series, but this wasn't the case at all. Ann did an excellent job with this upcoming release. I think this book is a must have addition to the ever popular series. It brought back some feelings I had when I first read about Mary Ann, Kristy, Claudia and Stacey. I think fans of the original series and new fans alike will love this book.

We get to see what they girls went through the summer before the club was started. I think Ann captured all the right emotions and things we go through as we're growing up. The summer between the girls 6th grade going on to 7th grade year was a tough one for them. There are joys and sorrows. We get to see what each girl is dealing with and how.

Kristy is dealing with her dad not coming back and her mother dating Watson. Claudia deals with the struggles of growing up faster than her close friends Mary Ann and Kristy and their relationship this summer is strained, as she spends time with her first boyfriend and deals with her first heartache. Mary Ann is struggling with the fact that her over protective dad isn't allowing her to grow up and be the more responsible young lady she's becoming. While I really loved reading more about the girls, I really liked learning more about Stacey. While many people would have been devastated to leave New York, Stacey wanted nothing more than to get a fresh start, which would be in Stoneybrook, CT.

Be sure to pick up this must have for any BSC fan new and old alike!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Before.