Melissa's Reviews > Mr. Peanut

Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross

Dec 01, 10

bookshelves: yikes

** spoiler alert ** This book confused me & I'm kind of pissed at it for this reason. I suppose I have only myself to blame for my ignorance that Dr. Sam Sheppard was a real person - I'm not sure how I didn't know that, but when his section of the book began, all I could think was, "Harrison Ford? As in The Fugitive? Wha-?" He plays a big part in the book, both as a detective assigned to investigate the murder of Alice and as a 130 page interlude in the middle where he tells the story of his marriage & wife's murder to a dwarf who may or may not be a hitman. So this is a story of his life, but also about Alice and her husband David & how David may want to kill her but maybe not, and the gruesome miscarriages she suffers & how they affect their relationship. It's also marginally about another detective whose wife has taken to her bed and won't tell him why. It's well-written & fast paced and I just couldn't wait to see how it all tied together in the end . . . . and then I saw and I thought it sucked.

Apparently from the very beginning you've been reading a book that David wrote about his life which ends in Alice's murder, but in the book in your hands she actually dies during bariatric surgery. David's book (the one about the murder) is read & then eaten by the dwarf who Sam Sheppard was talking with. The dwarf also murdered Alice either by swapping her Wellbutrin with placebos or forcing her to eat peanuts. David may or may not have had anything to do with this. In his book. Which the dwarf ate. Because really, in the book you're holding which is the "Actually," she died on the operating table.

You are thinking that doesn't make a whole lot of sense & you are right. But perhaps forwarned is forwarmed & you should read this book anyway because it is good other than the silly ending & if you know the silly ending going in you won't be so disappointed. And now I will stop reading gruesome books about horrible murders & pick up some Wodehouse instead, because really, everything I've been reading lately has been freaking me out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Peanut.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen I was going to write my own review for Mr. Peanut, but your review says everything I wanted to say. The only difference is that I think the book deserves 2 stars, but since you saved me a ton of time, I'll be generous and go with your "3."

Melissa Hey, glad I could help! I think it deserved 3 stars because the parts that were good were so good and honestly, the twist ending & the heavy-handed Mobius-get-it? stuff just made me chuckle after awhile.