Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Testing the Ice: A True Story About Jackie Robinson

Testing the Ice by Sharon Robinson

Dec 01, 10

bookshelves: 2009-100-book-challenge, books-i-own, mundie-kids-reviews
Read in October, 2009

My children are younger than the ages recommended for this book and they still loved it. My son loved it as he's a huge baseball fan and loved learning about one of America's greatest baseball players. Sharon does such a great job at pulling the reader into this story. It starts out talking about her father's accomplishments and what he endured as an African American baseball player. Then she talks about this beautiful home and property they moved into in CT that had a lovely pond that they would all swim in, except her father as he doesn't know how to swim. When it freezes over, the children all ask their father if they can ice skate. Mr. Robinson proceeds to test the ice for the children to make sure it's safe before they ice skate.

The story is one that left me wishing I was there to experience it. If the story doesn't capture you, the artwork will. It's a beautifully written story with such beautiful art work that will capture your attention.

Highly recommend for any baseball fan and any fan of Jackie Robinson.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Testing the Ice.