Angela's Reviews > Lord of Misrule

Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: american-fiction
Recommended for: horse fanatics, literary snobs
Read from September 12 to 22, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

In light of the news that HBO has moved up the premier of Luck, I'm going to have to insist you all read Lord of Misrule to get in the proper mindset.

I'd been craving a good book about horse racing. Lauren Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit is one of my favorite books of all time and I had yet to find something similar to catch my interest.

This definitely fit the bill. I picked up at Border's close-out sale. It's about a seedy end-of-the-road racetrack in the 1970s (I think, could also be the early 80s, either way, not present day) and the assorted characters that frequent such places. The book has a distinct and authentic voice, which took me a little getting used to since I was coming off my Bourdain kick.

Once I got the cadence down, I was sucked into this world and it's politics Racetracks seem to me a lot like circuses: it's a unique world that most people only see the surface of. Gordon beautifully evokes this feeling of being let in on horse racing's inner workings. There are no big hats and signature drinks. It's a dark place and you have to be pretty cut-throat to survive it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Misrule.

09/12/2011 page 40