Tina's Reviews > Ang mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan

Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011, filipino, horror
Read from January 22 to 23, 2011

Original post at One More Page

Note: I wanted to write this review in Filipino, but since it's cross-posted in my blog, I had to write it in English. ^^

I've been reading Bob Ong's books since college, ever since a friend brought her copy of his first book, A B N K K B S N P L A Ko (That reads as Aba Nakakabasa Na Pala Ako - literal translation: Wow, I Can Read Now). Bob Ong is one of the popular Filipino writers, who, until now, I am not sure if he is really one person or many contributing to one book. I've read almost all of his books ever since then, always looking forward to his funny words of wisdom that pokes and reflects on modern Filipino culture. I remember resorting to his books whenever I needed a pick-me-up, and since then, he's become one of those authors that I buy even if he isn't really a favorite. Perhaps this is an addiction?

So when I saw Bob Ong's latest book in Fully Booked, Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan (Translation: Mama Susan's Friends), I didn't think twice in getting it. I wasn't even sure what it was about -- I just knew it was Bob Ong, and whatever it is, I would probably like it. Even if I did not, it's still local fiction, so I figure it's still a win, right?

Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan brings us back to the days of school journals. Everyone must have had a teacher who made them do a journal for school -- a small notebook with a recollection of what happened for a certain period of time to be read and graded by a teacher. I don't really know the purpose of why our teachers made us do this except maybe for my college Literature professor. That wasn't a particularly hard assignment for me, anyway, as I've always been journaling on my own -- it was all a matter of filtering what you write for school, you see.

I didn't know what the book was about when I got it. It wasn't until I got back to the office to read about the book when I finally saw the trailer. The trailer is in Filipino, but you don't really need to understand it to figure out that this book is horror, especially when you get to the last part of the trailer. That stopped me from reading the book immediately. I was never a fan of horror, and I really go out of my way to avoid anything scary. I'm not a screamer, and I'm usually calm in reading or watching or listening to scary stories but my imagination wrecks havoc in me after.

So when I decided to read the book, I told myself I need to finish it in broad daylight. And so I did. In Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan, we meet Galo, who first started writing on a journal for an assignment and ended up keeping it because he did not want to waste his notebook. He chronicles his life in Manila where he lives with his relatives who never made living with them easy for him. He gets fed up with them and leaves to go back to the province to stay with his grandmother who raised him before he left for Manila. Things changed drastically from what he remembers in the province. Instead of finding the town to be just less noisier than Manila but still with improvements from his last visit, he finds that the town went backwards and were rejecting technology. His grandmother's house grows increasingly creepier with the presence of different statues of saints and the weekly gatherings of her grandmother's friends in her house. As weirder things start to happen, Galo tries to escape, but finds that there may be powers stronger than he is that are keeping him from doing so.

Talk about creepy. I read this in one bright and sunny afternoon but I couldn't shake off the creeps especially in the last pages. I think one thing that made it really scary is the fact that it is a journal, and it's a first person account. It reminds me a bit of The Blair Witch Project (which I liked and really freaked me out, too). I liked how Bob Ong's words flowed naturally and Galo's voice rang clear all through out. I found that it wasn't much different from the voices of his other characters from his previous books but there's this distinct Bob Ong feel to it that is familiar. There's also the fun references to some of the things I grew up with as a kid.

While I enjoyed reading it because of Bob Ong, I can't say I liked it because like I said, I don't like horror. The story is interesting and the last pages are truly creepy, but as a whole, it's not my book. My rating isn't really based on how much the book lacked but really more of a genre preference. If you're a horror fan, you'll probably enjoy this, but if you're a big chicken like me...skip. For your peace of mind, skip it.

To further prove my point: after I finished reading this book, I woke up in the middle of the night from my sleep needing to go to the rest room. I almost decided not to go because it would mean standing up and going there alone, and who knows what I will find when I open my bedroom door? I keep on remembering the face in the trailer and freaked out at the thought of seeing that in the dark corners of our apartment. I got up eventually because I couldn't hold it in any longer. But I left all doors and lights open, and ran back to the bedroom right after doing my business, all the while my mind remembering the last words of the book in absolute clarity.

Hmph. Big chicken, I am.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ang mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan.

01/23/2011 page 127

dateDown_arrow    newest »

K.D. Absolutely I will wait for your review. Hopefully Kwesi will also have a picture of the book so my bookshelf will still look nice when I add this.

Tina I can't find the scanned cover yet so no upload pa :) I will review it, but might take a while since this is a horror book and I am terribly chicken. Hehehe. Trailer pa lang natakot na ako ^^ haha.

K.D. Absolutely Ah, talaga? Horror pala yan ha ha! Last night, I was holding it kaya lang lahat ng libro sa NBS Bestseller parang naka-plastic ha ha. Di pa ako nakatapos ng Bob Ong na book but I know he is popular among GR members so sabi ko ba't di ko isama sa poll ha ha.

Tina Favorite ko yung Stainless Longganisa and yung Paboritong Libro ni Hudas. Yung last three books nya (including this one) puro fiction na. Medyo okay din yung Kapitan Sino, pero medyo malungkot yung ending.

K.D. Absolutely Okay. Someday, I will read all of them. Pag pinahiram ako ni Joyzi ha ha.

Joyzi Tina wait ko din review mo dito ^^

jzhunagev *Insert creepy baritone voice here* “Ang yakap ng isang kaibigan…

Nice review Tina! :)

K.D. Absolutely Tingnan mo na Juicy Joyzi, ikaw lang talaga ang nagbigay ng 1 star dito sa book na ito. Harsh ka talaga. Pang-2 or 3 stars talaga ito pero di 1 star.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Last words? Now, I really want to read this. Nice review, Tina. :D

message 10: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 1 star

Joyzi Haha oo nga e ang harsh ko, bayaan muna, mapili ako sa Horror e

message 11: by K.D. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K.D. Absolutely Yesterday, I saw that this is #1 in NBS Teen's Books ha ha. Then when I went to the Local Publication section, I saw two young girls trying to decide which Bob Ong books to buy. One was holding "Hudas" and one was trying to argue for them to buy "Alamat". I was looking at their faces, checking if they are Goodreads peps ha ha.

message 12: by Joyzi (new) - rated it 1 star

Joyzi Hahaha paranoid naman, KD baka ako na naman ulit yun