Michael Bischoff's Reviews > The Powers That Be: Theology for a New Millennium

The Powers That Be by Walter Wink

M_50x66
Jan 23, 08

Read in January, 2001

Brad B. challenged me to step into this web site by asking me to comment on this book. Wink is one of those authors whose ideas I love, but whose books I don't always like reading. However, this book is his most read-able, I think. He starts the book by saying, "there is a spiritual reality at the heart of everything, from photons to supernovas, from a Little League baseball team to Boening Aircraft." The implications of this idea to institutional and social changes are what drawn me in the most. In fact, I'm changing my life and work based on this idea, and Wink is the author that I find most useful in articulating what I'm drawn to.

I find Wink's theological framing of nonviolent direct action to provide some useful and I can understand how it plays out in action. When I try to understand how his ideas can be put into practice outside of politics, it gets a little fuzzy and abstract for me. I'd like to learn how to make his ideas more tangible and practical to me in workplaces, families, and neighborhoods. I'm slowly working on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Powers That Be.