Marni's Reviews > Enchantment

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, art-of-womanhood, leadership, marriage
Read in January, 2011

After seeing an entire blog post devoted to this book I thought it would be a great read. Definitely in the OK category. Someone said they learned a lot about marriage from it. Maybe those are lessons I already know, so they didn't strike me as much. The idea behind the story is good, but there were many things with the writing that put me off. One being that there are crude references sprinkled throughout the book. Also, for whatever reason the main characters really didn't grow on me.

Definitely wouldn't suggest this to anyone younger than at least 18 as there are many references of marital relations.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchantment.

message 1: by Cindi (new)

Cindi Huh. I had heard good and then later, bad about it. I wonder if I'll get to it.

Marni To be fair, the "marital relations" scene wasn't explicit, but there were many references before then, including immediately before then, regarding what Katarina especially had been told about sex.

Thinking about the book more last night, I kept wishing that I had a magic Shannon Hale wand that I could wave over the book, cutting out all the unnecessary extras and leave behind a great story.

message 3: by Cindi (new)

Cindi Perfect!