James Seawel's Reviews > How God Changes Your Brain: Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist

How God Changes Your Brain by Andrew B. Newberg

Dec 01, 10

There were some fascinating results of studies revealed in this book about what happens in our brains as we participate in certain religious or spiritual activities - praying, meditating, and even glossolalia. The authors addressed this from their scientific perspectives and appeared not to grasp or take seriously one spiritual beliefs. I am a Christian, but I believe that a non-believer or one of another world religion might also recognize this. Certain facets or tenets that one of any particular religious tradition might hold true seemed not to be considered, held important, or understood by the authors. I was never quite sure how much of the research was original to these particular authors as I have read similar findings in other recent sources.

Something that I found interesting is one section where they broke down 4 ways of seeing God: The Authoritative God, the Critical God, the Distant God, and the Benevolent God. Based upon these views, one's politics, beliefs, religion, etc can be predicted with great accuracy. My view of a Benevolent God accurately predicted who I voted for in 2008 while many of my evangelical friends' views of an Authoritative God accurately (sigh) predicted their votes.

I am interested in what might be the authoritative book on how God changes our brains, but was not convinced this was the book as much as it was one of several.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How God Changes Your Brain.