Melissa's Reviews > The Vampire Lestat

The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

Nov 30, 10

Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Was excited about this one after I LOOOVED "Inteview..." however I was not impressed after the first half of the book. She essentially gives 3 backstories here. Lestat, of course, and then Armand, and then Marius. Lestat seemed so extreme and crazy in the first novel... but here he seemed just like Louis. The writing was beautiful in the first book, but here it just seemed very chaotic, and almost like she was trying too hard to replicate the first book. Lestat was supposed to be chaotic, not the writing. I did enjoy his history, but I almost hated him in the first book and rather expected him to stay more a villain than a "hero." Not that I'm calling him a hero, but hopefully you know what I mean. I know this review is going to make some people angry, but honest is honest. The rock star thing didn't make sense to me either, though I know somehow he has to become "current."

Armand was also not what I expected. Very often I'm delighted by that, but the role reversal here was also odd for me. Armand was very seductive and "a good guy" in the first book, here the exact opposite. I was also confused by his description. The movie version of the first book may have contributed to that, but I definitely didn't picture Armand as a young red-head. There was some confusion in the graveyard scene as to who was the "leader," who was Armand, and who everyone else was of the Children of Darkness. Obviously it became clear eventually, but nevertheless, it was confusing.

Once we got to Marius, though, the book changed for me. I was VERY interested by this story, the writing seemed to flow better, and the storyline about the beginning of vampirism finally fit in. Things were still a little contradictory, however, once we got to the "explanation" of the first book. Lestat idolizes Marius, yet breaks every single rule. Fans of the first novel will agree that this sounds very much like Lestat, but in this novel he's very different for most of it.

I don't know, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks but I'm just not loving this book like I did the first one.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Lestat.