Christy's Reviews > Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist

Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin

Nov 30, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction-and-fantasy, horror, humor, 19th-century-british-lit, 21st-century-american-lit, vampires, zombies
Read from November 30 to December 01, 2010

I'm torn between two and three stars on this. Ultimately, this book primarily functioned to make me want to go back and re-read Jane Eyre (a far superior book). I got a couple of very brief snortlaughs out of Jane Slayre, but there wasn't nearly enough meat to the additions to make this worth reading and, in the meantime, the heart of the original text - the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester, Jane's internal drama, etc. - is either missing or seriously weakened in the update.

It is interesting to compare the characterization of the two Janes and the two Rochesters as artifacts of the ways cultural expectations and ideals have shifted since the 1840s. It's just not more than 2.5 stars interesting.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Slayre.

message 1: by Hazel (last edited Dec 02, 2010 02:42AM) (new)

Hazel I like to think of myself as open-minded, but I have difficulty finding justification for these books.

In fact the words travesty and abomination come to mind. :-)

Christy I wouldn't go as far as travesty or abomination myself; I would perhaps feel okay about calling them pointless, however.

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel Oh, I'm clearly getting more conservative with age; what a cliche. :-)